Thursday, August 29, 2002

I haven't been doing anything noteworthy for the past few days. Haven't left the house since Sunday either, but.. I'm not complaining. I'm finding it relaxing just spending my time in here (wait... on second thought, it's kinda nerve wrecking answering these Mensa word and logic problems..Can't really say I'm not spending my time wisely, eh?).

I have been nothing but a couch potato today. I was glued to the tv almost the whole night. I can't help it.. there were so much to be seen today except that they were shown the same time. I had trouble switching channels trying my best not to miss anything (but that's just impossible). You see while I was watching For Bad Boys Only (starring my love, Louis Koo), I was also watching the U.S. Open match as well as Showking M over at the Arirang Channel. After that movie, another good Chinese flick was shown - Fly Me to Polaris (a short synopsis on the two movies later). This time, I would switch channels during commercial breaks to catch a glimpse of the Single episode. Whew, that was some finger exercise (as if texting isn't enough).

As promised, the synopsis of the two Chinese movies I mentioned.


For Bad Boys Only

King, Jack, and Queen of the Bad Boy detective agency are hired to track down a lost love. During the course of their investigation they uncover a bizarre cloning experiment and the true meaning of love.



Fly Me to Polaris

Onion, a young man who is blind and dumb has a job at a local hospital as a typist. Here he also is a patient. He develops a caring relationship with a nurse named Autumn (Cecilia Cheung). He loves her and she loves him, but they never admit it to each other. Unfortunately, in a freak accident, Onion is killed when he gets hit by a car. He has the luck of being only one in many million people who go to Polaris (basically, heaven) who gets to have one wish. He wishes to come back to earth to see Autumn. It is agreed, but he only gets five days and no one will recognize him. He is unable to reveal his identity. He then tries his best to tie up loose ends with Autumn


The latter one didn't fail to make me cry. Again, for the millionth time, I found myself crying over a movie (I'm really leaving up to my alternick..) I remembered what Laura Esquirel wrote on Like Water for Chocolate:

The trouble with crying over an onion is that once the chopping gets you started and the tears begin to well up, the next thing you know, you just can't stop.


Oh, by the way, I finished Like Water for Chocolate last Tuesday. I end up reading this after I put away Peretti's book for the meantime. Lemme see, what can I say about the book? Hmmm... I have to say that I can't help but think of this Sarah Michelle Gellar movie, Simply Irresistible, because they both showed the power of a dish. But delving into the story, there were simple truths that can be found in the book. Truths about how people sometimes can be selfish. Then there's also words of wisdom that I loved:

Each of us is born with a box of matches inside us but we can't strike them all by ourselves.


The truth does not exist, it all depends on a person's point of view
(Makes me wonder, is everything really relative????)

Most importantly, one would simply enjoy reading this one.

0 comments: