Friday, November 1, 2002

I didn't go to the cemetery. Surprise surprise. Nah, honestly... I don't remember me going to the cemetery during this time since I was a kid. Ah wait, there was pala. Once lang, as in. It's always just my dad and my mom. It's not that I'm missing out on anything. I can always pay my visits anytime of the year.

As I was saying last night, it took me a week and a half just to finish Lolita. It's not something that you can read for entertainment purposes especially if there's a prudish part of you (which is my case). The book talks about Humbert Humbert's "affair" with Lolita. There couldn't be nothing wrong with that except that Humbert was already in his what? 40's while Lolita was just 12 years old for pete's sake. Besides, he was her step-dad mind you. And as you pore into the pages, you'll see that Humbert knows he's got a problem. He himself admits that he's a maniac and that he's gulity of pederosis (that's the use of children by adults as sexual objects). Ok, so maybe he really loved Lolita, still... Anyways, besides that unusual plot (it's not always that you read a book solely about this right?), you couldn't ignore Nabokov's use of words especially for a Russian writer (although I admit there were a lot of words that I had to refer to the dictionary still to understand what it meant).

I'm off to finishing Laura Esquivel's Swift as Desire next. I need something lighter than the one I just read.

And oh, I now know how Humphrey Bogart looks. Hahaha. And I now know what it is with his voice that there are some books that mention his name. Hahaha again. (yes, ngayon ko lang napanood 'to)

After watching that 1942 film (no need for synopsis or reviews here 'cause I believe this one's one of the most popular films ever made), I focused my attention on Final Romance. Why not? when it's starring Edison Chan. *sigh*

0 comments: