Monday, June 16, 2003

This was supposed to have been posted yesterday but I didn't have the time.

_____________________________


He can really get into your nerves and be really unreasonable. You explain to him your side and instead of keeping an open mind, he still says, No. End of conversation. You think he's a party pooper, a kill joy (even your friends think so). Seems like he just wants to imprison you inside the house, forget about socializing and going out. He's too nosy at times that he wants to know everything, from the very detail of things even if you don't want to talk about it anymore. He pressures you with his expectations without him even knowing it. But even if I don't always understand him, he will always always be the number one guy in my life. The very guy whom I have the highest regard.

I remember how as a child I won't go to sleep unless I was in my dad's arms. I remember how excited we would be when he comes home from work with candies and chocolates for us. We do not believe we were spoiled. But our dad saw to it that we were never left wanting. He was more generous than our mom. He was super kunsintidor as my mom would put it. He was the one who were buying me Bop, Tutti Frutti, All-Stars and those other celebrity magazines which I collected way back in elementary. I graduated from those and moved to YM, Teen and Seventeen. Again, it was my dad who brought home my copies. Same thing happened when I got interested into collecting NBA cards (only Grant Hill of course). Now, he just finances those things that I am into (he pays for my paper tole kits, my cross-stich patterns and DMCs, bought the album where I can put my coins and stamps). He knows each of our tastes, from foods to clothes to bags that whenever he goes to the mall alone, expect him to come home with something for us. My mom trusts his taste so much that she lets him buy her clothes when she wants something new and she doesn't have the time to shop.

The most important item for him would have to be the phone. He never fails to call us at home everday (when he has work). Since we were kids and up to now, he still does that. He knows our schedules and he knows what time we should be home. He asks about our day, asks us what time we arrived from school, or if we were'nt late for school/work earlier. Even if my mom's the only one at home, he still rings her up and asks her what she's doing. If he knows my mom has somewhere to go and he knows what time, he'll call up and knowing my mom, this is what he says: "Why you still there? Late ka na naman nyan. Sabi ko sa yo 'wag kang Filipino time." That is so typical of him. He would rather wait and be hours early than be late (so unlike us three).

Our dad likes to think we're still his babies (i can tell he still wants to be a part of our lives, i mean he is, but things are kinda different now) that's why he's being so protective.

When I think of all the things he has done and still does for us, I can't help but be guilty. I haven't been the good daughter that I know he wanted me to be. Like I said before, I have disappointed him too many times. And if at times he seems to not trust me that much, I don't and can't blame him, he has a reason.

Nevertheless, apart from being a provider (and how he provides for me especially, to think that I'm working already, he still buys me my call cards and pays for my clothes.. I know i should be ashamed!), being a father means accepting your child for who she is, for seeing through her shortcomings and loving her despite of. I don't know if I have that right. All I know is, he sure is that to us and much more.

0 comments: