Friday, October 10, 2003

I always knew planning is not my thing. While some people spend their time thinking about their future, I always end up not doing the same thing. During job interviews, I dreaded the part where the interviewer had to ask me of my short-term and long-term plans. I didn't like answering that particular question because I do not have any concrete answer/s to give.

I admire those people who have their life mapped out already. These are people who know what they want. Me? I'm not sure if it is intentional or not that I avoid looking at my future. All I know is, things that have happened in my life all turned out unexpectedly. I didn't plan for me to graduate with honors in elementary and high school, although I did plan to continue having honors in college. As it turned out, I slacked off and had average grades, not enough to make me a dean's lister every term. On my first year in college, I wanted so badly to get out of school the soonest possible time. And again, that wasn't what actually happened because I had to be delayed for two terms before I got to graduate. Being part of the student assembly was the least of my concerns as well, but then I found myself actively being involved in them. My childhood dream included me studying medicine, passing the board exam and becoming a doctor by profession. What I clearly did not see was I, working in an IT company as a development engineer (and I still believe I'm not cut out in the IT industry).

It may seem odd that someone who takes things too seriously at times tend to care less about her future. It's just that I've realized that in this life, I am not the one in charge. I am but an actor trying my darndest not to be considered mediocre. The director lays out the situations for me, and I am given the choice of how I'll act on them.

I am not that pathetic to not have anything in mind. I have, only they are nothing but vague thoughts - no specific scenarios, no definite plans. So if you do not want to get a blank stare or a "who cares?" as an answer, don't ask me about my plans.

Note:
I was a part of the student assembly. It meant I went through the process of "planning" for activities. And I enjoyed doing that.
Let's just say, it's just my life that I don't like planning for specifically. =)

0 comments: