Tuesday, May 2, 2006

26

It was the 26th of February that time. I was waiting patiently inside this company's premises. Good thing I wasn't alone as there were two other guys also waiting for certain people to give us instructions. At that time, I knew I was both nervous and excited. It was after all my first day at work and after more than two decades of studying, I am finally in the workforce.

Through my stay, I learned to both love and hate everything - from the people to the projects.

Initially, I told myself I'd only give myself two years to be in the IT field. After that. I would quit and study full-time. Turns out I would be eating my own words because even though it seemed that I never ran out of complaints, I stood by this company for three years.

Why?

Because even though some say that I could be earning more from another company, compensation doesn't really matter that much to me. As long as I get to save a certain amount and at the same time spend for the things I need and want I am already contented.

Because even though I am assigned to their sister company and we are considered a minority there, I never felt the discrimination the others felt. I was fortunate enough to have become friends with most of them in fact, even the project managers themselves.

Because even though almost everyone I knew the first few years have long resigned, I can still work harmoniously with these new people.

Because even though schedules of projects tend to be unrealistic and unreasonable, I welcomed the challenge of keeping up with the pressure. They never had any attendance problems with me. While most would immediately be on sick leave after a very long overtime work, I would still come in on time the next day (even if I don't get to sleep anymore, just as long as I get to take a bath).

Because even when if I think I am nothing compared to other engineers, people there believed in me. I used to complain every time a new module is being assigned to me because it's usually considered a difficult module. And then I realized that they probably wouldn't assign me something unless they thought I wasn't capable of developing it. I may whine at times, but I always took it upon me to deliver and on time as much as possible.

These are the reasons why. And there are more.

Honestly speaking, there were instances when I really thought I couldn't take it anymore, when I thought I needed to move on. And on the 26th of May, I will be officially saying goodbye to this company.

My sister has been advising me, pushing me even, to go and look for better opportunities. That it's high time I move out of my comfort zone. So around March, I did what many have been urging me to do. I updated my resume and sent it to friends (so they could in turn forward it to their HR). For the first company I tried, I took their exam totally unprepared (no reviews or whatsoever) because what I was after was getting the feel of taking an exam. So on the second company, since I reviewed, I was more confident taking the exam. Only thing was, during the technical interview, I felt like I was being grilled – that the interviewer was really giving me a hard time. (I was literally grimacing right in front of him). On the third company, it was I guess the easiest one of all, just two interviews that I
believe I did well. As for the last company, it was again an interview where right there and then I bluntly turned down (I still wonder if I made the right decision though, I could've been given another chance to go back to Japan).

And although they made a counter offer to me, I stuck by my decision to move forward. That, or maybe it's because the people around me now are proving to be difficult to work with. Or maybe it's because I don't believe in the new management. Or maybe because I am running away from the responsibility they have given me this time. Or maybe I am, plain and simple, getting bored.

Whatever.

Sometime in June then, I'll be like a new kid in this school. Back to square one, back to proving my worth. Only good thing is that I won't be friendless there.

Oh but I'm still praying. Praying that I made the right move.

1 comments:

jmdfoto said...

"...Though all the world mistrust him because he lives in simple, self-respecting happiness, he takes offence at none, but unswervingly treads the road onward to life's close, where duty bids him arrive in purity and peace, unreluctant to depart, in perfect and unforced unison with fate's appoitment. "
-Marcus Aurelius

Good Luck! Don't worry about your choice, no one is to say that you made the wrong choice except yourself. Be glad that you made a choice, for some they trudge this life without making one.