I used to be an avid fan of the series 7th Heaven, until I missed a few episodes and eventually lost track of the those i missed. There was this episode where Rev. Camden said something like "it's still better to be harmless than be helpful."
Kasi, oo nga naman, sometimes, even if have all the good intentions in us to help others, nakakasakit pa rin tayo. Minsan pa nga mas nagugulo pa natin yung situation. At least pag harmless ka, you avoid the possibility of hurting people. Pero, pag harmless ka, does that mean that you don't care at what goes on around you? It appears that you're just happy and contented doing your own thing. Which is something that I don't think people can really do because I believe nature na rin natin ang tumulong at ang pagnais na makatulong. Then again, I ask myself why do we help? What is it for us? Kelangan nga bang may mabenefit rin tayo? Ang naiisip ko minsan, somehow we have this ulterior motive: na we think and believe that not everyday is our day and if we help, baka pag tayo na ang mangangailangan, there'll be at least a single person to lend a hand. Question is, is it wrong to have that kind of thinking? I don't know. But that's what happens now. Proof of that is that we have this "utang na loob" concept. We help those who helped us one time or the other. It's a cycle.
But there's a much better scenario and it's one wherein someone performed a good deed for us and we, on our part do not wait for an opportunity para maibalik natin yun to the same person. Instead, help others who are in need hoping that they'd do the same ("pay it forward" concept).
Is that even possible?
Monday, August 27, 2007
Thinking Aloud
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment