There was this article that I cut from the newspaper some time last year. I seem to have forgotten about it that I was surprised when I saw it sticking out from the "drawer" where we keep our Archie comics (weird place to find this one). I'm not exactly sure what made me keep it but then again, it must have to do with this guy and the whole closure concept.
A sense of closure.
I have been writing about relationships for the past three weeks. This week we focus on the need for a sense of closure. It's the feeling people must have when the relationship is finally over.
When you've been in a relationship, it's so hard to throw in the towel so quickly. For some, familiarity and a sense of security are more important than leaving. You try to fight hard to maintain the relationship, giving rise to the "maybe syndrome": "Maybe I have to give it another chance or work harder on it." "Maybe there is still hope." "Maybe if you do something more, then it will work out just fine." But deep inside, you know it's not going to work. You know that it is best that you go your separate ways.
So what do you do for yourself to pick up the pieces? The first few days, weeks, and even months won't be easy. But one has to go through the process of pain, agony, and loneliness. The worst is dealing with the sentimentality of good memories. If you like drama, now is the time to sing "I Will Survive." There are different stories on how people deal with getting this sense of closure. Here are some.
Learn from the whole experience. Don't torture yourself and say "I was wrong" or "If only I were better." Know that it was for the best not only for you but also for your ex. Focus on moving on. Believe that whether you will find someone else or stay alone, it's the place where you should be. Be with family and friends who will support and encourage you. Pray. Accept that it's over. Imagine your emotions are like water running from a faucet. You need to close the faucet tight. Of course, it's easier said than done. It will take time, but learn from it, let go, then move on.
I think it just covers the things I wanted to say to some who may have to go through this now.
0 comments:
Post a Comment