Sunday, December 8, 2002

Most of the Chinese movies that I have been seeing are trying the formulas that make Hollywood movies click. Rarely do I catch a glimpse of the traditional Chinese costumes and kung-fu scenes Chinese movies are usually known for (remember Wong Fei Hong of the Once Upon a Time in China series and some of Stephen Chow's earlier movies). Last time I saw one, it was Shaolin Soccer - showing in Manila now (only the kung-fu scenes were there and they weren't even fight scenes).

Chinese Odyssey was a breather. It's got humor, some fight scenes, and romance. It was from the same cast of Chungking Express (a modern Chinese movie that I absolutely loved). Although some may find the movie's plot simple or typical, I guess what made me like it was that, beyond talking about true love and stuff like that, it featured the brother and sister relationship of the two main characters. Their scenes more than touched me.

It is a good movie that's worth your time, really...