Monday, March 15, 2004

We all know about teen angst and how most teenagers are in a dilemma knowing who they are. I used to believe I was an exception - that I didn't go through the same ordeal when I was growing up. Thinking about it now, comparing how I was before and how I am now, I guess I was wrong.

There was a time when I would almost everyday get into an argument with my mother for reasons that are really shallow. Everything she did, I'd take it against her and answer her back (me and my mom are alike in many many ways, thus the friction). At times when she'd tell me to do something, I'd act as if I'm not hearing anything. My dad would often be caught in the middle of our fight when he gets home. The times there were "gulo" in the house, you never have to second guess who started it, that would most likely be me. I felt like I wasn't doing anything right. That they were being too nosy prying in my life. I was in that stage when I wanted to do what I want, when I wanted them to not mind me anymore. It was a phase when I wanted nothing but my friends' company. I've done stuff that they had the right and reason to reprimand me, but I was too spiteful that I'd never admit my own faults. I was their headache, causing them too much pain at that time, I know. The only consolation they had was the fact that I was in the honor roll and I had good grades, but that was that.

But I've mellowed. I try as much as possible not to answer back. I don't do things that I know would hurt them. I don't take it against them when they tell me something. I consider each and every little thing they do for me as a blessing. There had been less arguments, even bordering to none (i think). I've become closer to my parents - much closer that my relationship with them is better than ever.

It was me all along and my attitude. My own fault that I felt alienated from my parents, I was the one alienating myself from them. I guess it comes with growing up, you know, the realization that your parents aren't here to stay with you forever and that it's never too late to make each day spent with them a memorable one.