Monday, June 26, 2006

Dance-off

The concept of Shall We Dance on local tv's abc-5 is not new because there's a Dancing with the Stars show in the US.

Nevertheless, I've been a viewer of this show since it first aired (thanks to my dad who insisted that we try watching it). It was actually a welcome change from the tv shows that are available from local tv channels.

Then comes a new show on one of the top tv networks. We saw the first episode and didn't quite like it. But we again saw the second and third (last night's) thinking maybe it will get better. Besides, we wanted to see the celebrity dancers (as to how good were they)

I'm sorry but last night as I was switching channels (it was SWD's championship night), I realized that I prefer SWD much much better.

First, there are the hosts. I think UCD's hosts are trying hard. Female host can probably dance but I think there are other personalities who can do the job better - dance and most importantly, host. Both male co-hosts of SWD and UCD aren't really dancers, but Dominic is funnier.

Second, the judges. One has to listen to the comments of the judges from SWD and UCD and you'll know what i mean. (Maribeth used to judge in SWD but was replaced by Regine Tolentino later on, probably because maribeth chose UCD. But regine's a good judge, imho.) They provide better insights and advices unlike the other show's. An example was last night's comment by ms. tanga queen: "ang napansin ko lang, sumasabay kang kumanta habang sumasayaw. pero aside from that, maganda naman." Excuse me but am I the only one who didn't get what she wanted to say? Was it good or bad that she was singing along while dancing? It doesn't help that my dad always comments that jhong is a jamie king wanna-be (i miss dance fever and jamie king!) but i don't really agree with him though.

Third, SWD's concept is clear and straightforward - it is a ballroom dance competition show. The other one? I'm not so sure (include the judging criteria as well).

Fourth, it seems that the celebrity dancers of UCD are limited to their own talents (for sure) which is why SWD has the edge because they can invite talents from both networks. And SWD has invited even basketball players as contestants too.

Fifth, the show's stage is more serious-looking. Whenever I watch UCD, it's like I'm watching a noon time variety show. :S

I therefore conclude that SWD will still get my interest during Sunday evenings.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto. Derek Ramsey *is* hot, but there's only so much hotness can do. SWD is really better, I think.

Even Lola likes SWD more. LOL