Sunday, February 9, 2003

All about movies


I didn't get to watch 8 Mile and I am afraid that I won't get to see Catch Me If You Can as well. *sniff sniff*

Anyway, I was satisfied with the two movies that I saw this week plus the other one that I caught on Star Mandarin.

Dry Wood Fierce Fire (Star Mandarin Channel)


Synopsis (from hk film.com):

Alice (Miriam Yeung) works for "Ladies," a female-only magazine. However, publisher Michelle (Flora Chan) decides to merge "Ladies" with "Gents", an all-male magazine that employs Ryan (Louis Koo) as one of the chief editors. As you'd expect, this leads to your standard male/female office politics, but the quirky quotient is upped thanks to Alice's status as a fourth-generation Chinese herbologist. That means Miriam Yeung gets to spend a good third of the film engaging in wacky cultural shtick, i.e. prescribing herbs at the office, cooking traditional remedies, and practicing kung-fu all over the place.

Alice's antics around the office provides most of the film's comedy until the film's real plot comes to light. Here it is: Alice finds Ryan incredibly attractive, but he's sort of a lout towards her. Still, the two become friends when Ryan falls for Michelle and vows to win her love. Alice decides to help Ryan win Michelle, not noticing until it's too late that her own affection is growing stronger. Then Ryan must choose between the two women.

Why I loved it:

Romantic comedies always get me that I often find myself crying over this kind off genre. There were touching parts here that I don't think were really intended to be that. There were no kissing scenes but the movie was still able to make you kilig. Plus, it wasn't mushy at all!

Miriam Yeung is great at movies like this. Come to think of it, all of her movies are light romance. She's like the Meg Ryan of HongKong. And then there's Louis Koo (*me swoons*). He is nothing but charming. His looks aren't typical in the sense that he does not have a fair complexion but he's got those chinky eyes still.

Bottom line is, it is a feel-good movie.

The Hot Chick (Glorietta 4 Cinema)



No synopsis for this. It is basically about this popular teenage girl who finds herself trapped in a man's body. I was laughing the whole time I was watching it. Rob Schneider was funny but there were some disgusting scenes that weren't funny for me at all. The story's predictable. The truth is I don't see anything new offered here except that Rob was able to pull off his Jessica character well.

It's one movie that doesn't make you think because there's really nothing to think of. A nice de-stresser (if there's such a word) though.

Hero (PowerPlant Cinema)


Synopsis:

Read here

Why I loved it:

I was excited to see this one and I wasn't disappointed. There's just so many reasons why I adored this movie. There's the cast, the characters, the production design, the story, the cinematography, the effects, the concept.

Consider the cast, there's Jet Li and Jet Li's Jet Li. He knows his stuff and he is great at it. Tony Leung's a versatile actor but more known as a serious actor plus he's been working with really talented directors for years now. Maggie Cheung's a favorite Tony Leung partner (their most noted film was In the Mood for Love). And although Zhang Ziyi was tasked to do a supporting role, her acting wasn't in any way lacking in comparison with the three previously mentioned.

The characters had these strong personalities and style! They were assassins but you can't help but side with them and feel for them. Mainly because they are still human beings and that we have to admire their determination. Even the Emperor of Qin, who was supposed to be this ruthless king, showed emotional sides of him once in a while and you can't help but be torn whether to sympathize with him or hate him instead.

Ang ganda, the set and the costumes. Everything was rich in color. The prod designer played with blue, white, green, yellow and red colors. Over all production and cinematography, thumbs up for me.

You won't be disappointed with the many sword fights/plays and the twists and turns of the story. This one's a must-see!

I used to hate Chinese calligraphy back in elementary and high school... didn't realize the art in it until recently. the things you learn late...

0 comments: